For over 80 years, the have brought forth a variety of comedies, dramas and musicals and this weekend they will kick off their newest season by presenting Meredith Wilson's "The Music Man" where conman Harold Hill woos leading lady Marian Paroo in River City, Iowa.
Considered one of the most beloved shows in American theater, watch and listen how love can change the lives of not only two people but an entire town, set against the backdrop of middle America in the 1900s.
In 1957, the show became a hit on Broadway, winning five Tony Awards, including Best Musical, and ran for 1,375 performances. The cast album won the first Grammy Award for "Best Original Cast Album" and was number one on the Billboard charts for 245 weeks. The show's success led to revivals and a popular 1962 film adaptation and a 2003 television remake with Matthew Broderick as Hill and Kristin Chenoweth as Marian. In the 1980s, Dick Van Dyke starred in the main role on Broadway alongside a young Christian Slater as Winthrop.
Directed by long-time BCP member Larry Landsman of Wyckoff, who has amassed numerous acting and directing credits with BCP, directing musicals The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, The Full Monty and Into the Woods and appearing most recently on the BCP stage as The Cat in the Hat in Seussical the Musical, Ira in Laughter on the 23rd Floor, Ivan in Art and Fagin in Oliver!
The talented cast of The Music Man includes: John Ade (New City, NY), Andrew Bacalakis (Hawthorne), Victoria Buchner (Hawthorne), Darren Carfano (Suffern, NY), Janica Carpenter (Old Tappan), Rosella DeVincenzo (Oradell), Brian Eller (Wyckoff), Elisabeth Erdmann (Nutley), Christopher Heffernan (Wyckoff), Gregory Houldsworth (Wyckoff), Neil Kahn (Maywood), Rob Kopil, (Suffern, NY), Oren Korenblum (New York, NY), Justin Landsman (Wyckoff), Kate Larsen (Glen Rock), Arianna Lionetti (Westwood), Nina Lionetti (Westwood), Olivia Lionetti (Westwood), James Lugo (Congers, NY), Larry Marino (Tappan, NY ), Andrea McIlroy (Montvale), Sarah McIlroy (Montvale), Nicholas McRae (Glen Rock), Shari Mendelson (Fort Lee), Emily Mills (Oradell), Tiggy Morley (Ridgewood), Paula O’Brien (Park Ridge), Joseph O’Connor (Fair Lawn), Jeff Peiper (New Milford), Samantha Popek (Garfield), Michael Puglia (Guttenberg), Alan Shearer (New City, NY), Jimmy Vinetti (Bloomfield), Christian Spinella (Rutherford), Jenna Miles Stewart (Hillsdale), Andrew Van Buskirk (Ridgewood), John Weidemann (Montclair), Katie Weigl (Ridgewood), Priscila Zortéa (New York City).
TICKET AND SCHEDULE INFORMATION
- The Music Man will run from Sept. 8 through Oct. 6 with shows on Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm and Sundays at 2pm. The Bergen County Players are located at 298 Kinderkamack Road, Oradell.
- Tickets can be purchased online at www.bcplayers.org, by calling 201-261-4200 or by visiting the box office during regular box office hours. Tickets are $22.
- Those interested in Group Sales of 20 or more tickets can call (201) 262-0515.
- As it has for the past few seasons, BCP will continue to offer a "Questions & Artists" (Q&A) discussion following select performances. The Music Man Q&A will kick off immediately following the September 14, 2012 performance. Admission is included in the cost of the ticket.
- Discount tickets for students age 25 and under with proper ID are available for $14 by phone or walk-up only.
- Parking is free at the Park Avenue municipal lot, across the street, one-half block north of the theater.